Accidental Deliciousness

It is holiday WEEK in our family. Wedding Anniversary, Father's Day, Steve's birthday. Since two of these three special occasions revolve around Mr. Steve Schallert, I thought it appropriate to make his favorite treat...banana bread! Steve is of the persuasion that banana bread with chocolate chips smothered in peanut butter is breakfast food. I call it something different (dessert). BUT, because it is his favorite, I set out to make a loaf of pure sugary deliciousness. Halfway through mixing ingredients I realized that I didn't have any butter. And I didn't have any chocolate chips. So I scowered my cupboards and accidentally made it healthy...ish . Here's how:


2 ripe Bananas
1 mediumAvocado
2 eggs
1 C. granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract

2 C. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/3 C. carob chips

Preheat oven to 350. Grease loaf pan.
Mash bananas and avocado together until smooth. Stir in eggs, vanilla and sugar.
Combine dry ingredients (except carob chips).
Add wet to dry.
Fold in carob chips.

Pour into prepared loaf pan.
Sprinkle top with brown sugar, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds. Cover with a "tent" of foil.
Bake at 350 for 30 mins then remove foil and bake for an additional 20-25 mins (until middle is cooked through.
Voila. Enjoy.

Beth Reid, looking forward to a modified gluten free version ; )






Post a Comment

© 2010 unless otherwise stated all photos are copyright diane schallert and may not be used without permission. thanks.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP